In keeping with York University’s provisions for shifting all but required services off-campus, as well as Health Canada’s recommendations regarding social distancing, SCD services are being provided remotely through a confidential telephone/video counselling platform. Our regular hours of operation remain the same.
How to Access Services
Should you be interested in speaking with a counsellor for support, please call 416-736-5297. If the line is busy, please wait for a few minutes and try again. Our hours of operation can be found on the Contact Us page.
All counsellors at Student Counselling & Development are registered clinicians who have experience working with a diverse student population. With that said, SCD recognizes that students may desire to meet with a counsellor with whom they share the same or similar identity/ background.
Students are welcome to express their preference to meet with counsellors of a particular identity (e.g. male, female, Black-identifying, LGBTQ+-identifying, etc.). Please alert reception to your preference at the time of booking. We will do our best to ensure that these preferences are met in a timely manner.
Eligibility for Service
You are eligible for services at SCD if you are currently registered and enrolled in courses at the Keele Campus. Students who are currently registered or enrolled in courses at the Glendon campus are eligible for a range of counselling-related services at The Accessibility, Well-Being and Counselling (AWC) Centre.
After Hours Support
If you need assistance outside of SCD's regular operating hours, you can call the following counselling/crisis/support lines:
- Local emergency personnel (fire, ambulance, police): 911
- York Security Services (emergency): 416-736-5333
- York Security Services (non-emergency): 416-650-8000
- goSAFE: 416-736-5454
- Good2Talk: Call 1-866-925-5454 or text GOOD2TALKON to 686868
- Assaulted Women’s Helpline: 416-863-0511
- Burlington Distress Centre: 905-681-1488
- Distress Centers of Greater Toronto: 416-408-HELP (4357)
- Durham Crisis and Mental Health Line: 905-666-0483
- Gerstein Centre Crisis Line:416-929-5200
- Oakville Distress Centre: 905-849-4541
- Scarborough Health Network Community Crisis Line: 416-495-2891
- Spectra Distress Line: 905-459-7777
- York Community Crisis Response Services: 1-855-310-COPE (2673)
- 24/7 Crisis Support Peel Dufferin: 905-278-9036
- 211Ontario: 211